ESG – Sustainability Contributions
In the year 2015 the United Nations published its “Sustainable Development Goals” – goals for a better and more sustainable life for all. BRAIN products and solutions directly address at least five of these goals.
The “Sustainable Development Goals” (SDG) take social, economic and environmental aspects into account, and are addressed to governments worldwide, to civil society, the overall economy, as well as to the private sector. Companies can make a great contribution to achieving sustainability goals: with their business models, products and services.
Industrial biotechnology – to which BRAIN is committed – enables the efficient utilization of natural resources. In this case biotechnology can be used to make industrial production processes more efficient and sustainable, and to produce bio-based products for consumer goods. For example, BRAIN’s natural ingredients from its proprietary substance libraries help to make industrially produced consumer goods more effective and healthier.
From the outset, BRAIN’s aim has always been to play an active pioneering role in the transition away from fossil fuels towards biological resources that are produced and utilized on a sustainable basis.
Selected products and solutions:
- Food: Reduce calorie density in foods by natural sweeteners while maintaining the taste profiles; reduce the salt content in food;
- Good health: functional probiotics; replace chemicals in cosmetics by natural compounds; enzymatic debridement of chronicle wounds;
- Water/ sanitation: replacing chemicals by biological metal extraction from e-scrap, incinerator bottom ash and other mineralic resources;
- Industry innovation: improving production efficiency; reducing CO2 emissions and using CO2 as a raw material;
- Responsible consumption: reducing the perishability of food by bioactive antimicrobials to reduce food waste;
- Climate action: managing pollution; transforming waste streams into unprecedented value chains.